Sunday, February 12, 2012

Friday, February 10, 2012

It is now 2 PM and we still have several patients to see. Ojas 1 still has the patients. Almost all Salvadorans want to go to the eye clinic and they wait so patiently. At the very point that I write this, a young girl of about 8 sits by my side. She emits an audible “wow” as I opened the computer. And as I type, her eyes went very large and she is amazed to see the words flowing from my fingers, onto my screen. I don’t think she has even seen a computer. Also, she points to the photo I have taped to my laptop, my Father and I. I tell her mi Padre and she nods and smiles. It is quickly apparent that I cannot sit in this place and work on my notes, so I give up and show her the computer and let her type her name. Now a little boy flanks my other side and he does the same (types his name). I ask them questions and we go back and forth between the two of them: names of mother and father, city they live in, names of animals and the sounds they make. Then two older children, the very pale-skinned ones come over and watch. The boy is about 17, when I hand him the computer to type his name, he handles it like he knows what he is doing and types expertly. This indicates to me that he uses a computer.

By 3 PM, we are taking down the clinic. There were several patients and clinics still busy at 2 PM, but things were starting to slow. The Pharmacy looks almost 100% intact however, and I wonder how they will be able to get everything done in time for the ceremony.

Father Mario Cruz has planned a ceremony for the Paz Salud volunteers. He starts the ceremony a little earlier than Kathy Garcia would have liked, but as in each day; we run later than planned due to patient volume. He opens the ceremony with a local San Salvador dance group who have travelled to the village: Yaxanutal Ballet Folklorico. A hand-lettered paper banner has been placed on the back of the stage wall and it reads:

Muchas Gracias Paz Salud por su solidaridad que dios los bendiga. Translated this is roughly (Google again): Thank you very much PeaceHealth for your solidarity. God Bless.

Father Mario Cruz speaks and thanks everyone. What he says is translated in English by Elba, one of the Paz Salud volunteers. Father reads each person’s name and they are called to the front of the stage area and each receives: a small hand-painted piece of Salvadoran art, which incorporates a feather into the scene; a certificate, and necklace that is a polished nut with an image of Romero painted upon it, hanging from a black string.
Both Kathy and Sr. Susan speak and praises, thanks and information is translated also in Spanish. All of our Salvadoran clinic volunteers are in the audience. Kathy tells the audience that this is the 11th year that PeaceHealth has provided clinics in El Salvador. The clinic this week provided care to 1649 patients. Of those, 5 were transported to a hospital. Sr. Susan talks about and demonstrates the water filter system. Another 80 families in the village will receive these water filters and also the education on use and maintenance. Prior to receiving the filters, each family member will be tested for parasites and if they are present, the individual(s) will be treated prior to receiving the filters for the home. After the ceremony ends, we have cake and ice cream.

So ends our week in clinic. The classrooms were put back together, desks in place, the courtyard swept and the school again becomes a school in preparation for the next week. People say goodbye, and tears and hugs abound. I share email and Facebook with two new Salvadoran friends and so do others. Goodbye San Jose Villanueva; you will remain fresh in our minds for several days or even weeks, but in the heart forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.