I am grateful to Andrea who has helped me and others stay connected or has taught us something about using our Apple or other application technology while so far from the networks we know. It won’t be a stretch to jump back and forth between PC and i-Pad once I know how to do everything and have it cemented into the memory bank. This is my first travel trip with my new i-pad. I am fine with photo downloads and have plenty of memory left (9GBs), but I am not skilled in the ways of using the internet, but have done fine with my Paz Salud laptop for posting the blogs (thank goodness for copy/paste) which is a “bubble” in the i-pod. Those of readers who have i-pod, know what the bubble is.
And what an amazing day it has been. I have had so much fun. I cannot find anyone who does not want their photo taken and no one who will not return my smile and wave, unless they are a shy, shy child. I wrote notes in my notebook all day long. I photographed early, the people at the gate. They are let in carefully and apparently, only on referral. I saw a very few more blonde-reddish haired persons, (all children). And outside the gate this morning I saw my first “dyed red-blonde” head, a middle aged woman, clearly Hispanic with painted on eyebrows. The natural haircolor is best, like everywhere! I also saw an old woman, the “one with the fluffy hair and the bad eye” standing outside the gate. She was here all day yesterday, but I don’t think she came back in today as I did not see her here today.
I met more of the students from International University today. I didn’t see David today, but he is a rocket scientist (as they say). They are all amazing! So, so bright, all very good English and all goal-oriented. Their lives sit before them and for the most part they only need by willing to make every dream come true. They, these kids are the more fortunate ones here, and our ministry is with the poor. Sebastian and Ali come in together. He is the artist who also wants to be a something else but does not know yet. I asked him if he brought his art to show me and he said ahhhhhh, I forgot. Today was Sebastian’s last day at the clinic. Ali piped up and said, I’ll bring some of his art, I have to stop by his house anyway. And I reminded her at the end of the day – I hope she remembers. I scored points with Sebastian. He was wearing a Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon 1972 concert shirt. I told Sebastian I saw Pink Floyd in concern at Arizona State University in 1974. He said “REALLLLLLY???” J And Ali said; you were a little wild once? And I smiled and said yes. Smiles. I also met Carlos, the remarkable red-headed student who speaks four languages. He is from El Salvador but has lived in Switzerland for several years. He gets his hair color from his mom and he is remarkably a straight shooter kid. I asked him whether he had decided what he wants to do when he grows up and he said “no, I am interested in so many things I cannot decide.” Well, no hurry, he is a junior! One more student story: I met Aldo too. He is at the same International School. There are several international schools: German, English, British and French. The grades are all under one roof; from kinder-5 to 12th grade. The schools are all in San Salvador and are considered the best schools. Aldo wants to be a doctor and will likely go to school in San Salvador or another Central-American school. He remarks that getting into med school in the states is very hard. And, he loves his country and wants to be a doctor here. Admirable, as his country needs him. I am bold and tell him he reminds me of a Greek God. He is dark with curly hair all in a tousle and has very fine features. I tell him he is very handsome and he blushes but accepts the compliment.
And today I met a campesino who I photographed of course. He was wearing a big cowboy hat that had emblazoned the words: RODEO, Texas. Through an interpreter (Carlos from Honduras) I asked him about his hat. I was curious whether he purchased the hat or perhaps it was a gift. He bought it because he likes rodeo and bull fights. I learn through the interpreter that he is quite a good rider of horses. A rodeo in Spanish is called: Jaripeo (pronounced hairy-pay-o). This man is Pedro Lopez and he is happy to have his picture taken.
Regarding immunizations and infant mortality, Deb tells me that she has gathered information on this subject. The vaccinations given the El Salvadoran children mimic that of the United States. And there are government-owned clinics that travel to the rural areas and give the vaccinations. And there is education of the what and when of vaccination. I am grateful for this.
This trip has helped me gain new respect for the MDs. Because of the job that I have, my profession in healthcare quality and safety, I often have to focus on the things that go wrong. American healthcare can do much harm. That said, I reflect back on the comments from the student and others on the difficulty of school and I think that perhaps staying in one native land is the very best thing. Western medicine is mostly exclusive to other “non-traditional” forms of healing and that may be less so in other developing nations, where belief and ritual can heal mightily. And speaking of doctors, the three El Salvadoran doctors who held the government clinic on the other side, do not speak any English.
The day ended by 7 PM; the Ojas clinic had many patients. The Catholic Church started playing church music from the bell tower at about 6 PM. It was very loud and very lovely, and a great end to the clinic day and likely a challenge to the providers left in Ojas (yes, it was loud).
Today the providers and volunteers saw 350 patients, which translate to much more given the multiple clinic visits.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.