Monday, February 13, 2012
We meet in the Hotel Novo Lobby at 4:45. My roommates and I are all up at 3:20 AM. I’m not sure how that happened, but I for one did not sleep well, awaiting that early i-alarm. We board the bus and are ready for travel. Our flight leaves at 7:30 AM. Two more persons have become very ill during the night. This intestinal bug has tapped on the shoulder of everyone in our Paz Salud group it seems.
These past 10 days have been simply remarkable. I look at my right wrist and see the thin plastic bracelet I bought from a boy Friday night at the pupusa restaurant. Imagine an 8-year old boy with a grave face, round, dark tired eyes as deep as the history of El Salvador. Working still, offering items for sale such as children’s books and stuffed animals, although it is 9 PM. I select a bracelet which is $1 and I give him $2. He smiles slightly and nods shyly. On the way out of the restaurant, I bend over and give this child a $5 bill. His eyes wide, he now smiles broadly and says gracias, gracias.
On the flight from Houston to Seattle, I look down at the brightly lime-colored bracelet again. Inscribed on it: mi penzamiento. Translated, the phrase means: my thoughts. I started these writings ten days ago for a blog I entitled: Meandros de PeaceHealth Barbara Part of my job is to be the Journalista. They are my thoughts and as I recall the child’s face, I realize that what the child has given to me is far more than I could ever give him. I am grateful and hopeful for the country of El Salvador.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.